|Healing Chicken Soup iPhoto: by Cherie|
Almost immediately, as the warmth begins to travel throughout your body, you start to relax, and realize tomorrow is another day. For now, be grateful that you are well fed.
My Healing Chicken soup may be made ahead of time and stored in your freezer by the bowl-full. Just take out and unfreeze when the need arises, adding fresh cut mint for sore throats, oregano to help combat infection, and basil for boosting your immune system.
Makes 8 servings
All ingredients are free range and organic
6 cloves garlic, crushed and diced
6 tbl oregano
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup fresh chives
1/4 cup fresh mint
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup diced carrots
1 small sweet white onion, diced fine
1 cooked yellow corn, remove corn from husk, makes 1 cup
6 large lemons, juiced with seeds removed
4-6 tbl extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 whole free-range organic chicken, cut into quarters by your butcher
2 cups tricolor Fusilli pasta
2 small red tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, as topping
Shredded parmesan cheese, as topping
ground black pepper to taste
Kosher or sea salt to taste
1. In a large stainless steel skillet, saute the garlic and onion on med/high heat in the extra virgin olive oil until golden
2. Add the chicken pieces to the skillet, skin side down. Turn and brown until golden on both sides
3. Add the 6 tablespoons oregano and 1/2 of the squeezed lemons. Now you may also add the white wine. Lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes with the lid on
4. Turn the chicken pieces once more, add the rest of the lemon juice. Return the lid and simmer on low for another 10-20 minutes.
5. In a large pot, fill with salted filtered spring water and bring to a rolling boil
6. Add the tricolor fusilli pasta. Boil until al dente and then carefully add the chicken & ingredients from the large skillet into the large pot
7. Cover and simmer on low, for one hour, adding the fresh chopped oregano, 1/2 of the chives, and the mint, within the last fifteen minutes of cooking. Remove the chicken bones
8. Serve in attractive soup bowls, with chopped avocado, parmesan cheese and chives as toppings.